Functional programming doesn’t require you to work with only a functional language. The basic rules of it can be applied to any language you use.
I took a 3 class session at Directi on the topic a few weeks back. Some of the important topics were covered, including:
- What is Functional Programming?
- What makes it possible?
- Functions as first class citizens
- Pure functions and higher order functions
- Advantages of Functional programming
- A hands on exercise using mit-scheme
- Declarative thinking and more..
The presentation used was created using remark and is in open domain at Github - Functional Programming presentation.